Managing your lawn can be frustrating and tiring even for seasoned homeowners. If not equipped with the right lawnmower, cutting the thick grass in your yard can be quite tricky. This article will guide you through the different lawn mowers best suited for lush grass that will leave your garden fabulous. With detailed information on their varying functionalities, you will easily find something that works for your yard, depending on the type of grass to cut, the length, type of terrain, and the size of your yard.
Table of Contents
- The 8 Best Push Mower For Thick Grass In 2020
- HONDA ROTO-STOP MICRO CUT LAWN MOWER-BEST GAS MOWER FOR ROCKY TERRAIN.
- BLACK & DECKER 3-IN-1 LAWN MOWER- BEST CHEAP MOWER FOR THICK GRASS LAWN.
- WORX WR140- BEST ROBOTIC LAWN MOWER FOR THICK GRASS.
- TROY-BILT 30” SIT DOWN RIDING LAWNMOWER-BEST RIDE ON MOWER FOR TOUGH GRASS.
- AMERICAN LAWN MOWER COMPANY 14”-BEST PUSH LAWN MOWER FOR THICK GRASS.
- GREENWORKS 20”-BEST CORDLESS WALK BEHIND LAWN MOWER FOR 1 ACRE LAWNS THICK GRASS.
- SNAPPER 20”-SELF PROPELLED LAWN MOWER- BEST FOR ROUGH TERRAIN.
- SCOTTS OUTDOOR 14” PUSH REEL LAWN MOWER- BEST FOR CUTTING THICK WET GRASS.
- BUYER’S GUIDE FOR LAWN MOWERS BEST SUITED FOR THICK GRASS.
- In conclusion;
The 8 Best Push Mower For Thick Grass In 2020
HONDA ROTO-STOP MICRO CUT LAWN MOWER-BEST GAS MOWER FOR ROCKY TERRAIN.
Unlike most traditional zone start mowers, the Honda Roto-stop blade system allows you to stop the blades while the engine is still running.
This comes in handy when mowing a rocky terrain. Whenever the mower comes into contact with rocks, the blades will automatically stop moving, but the engine will still be running.
This feature is a safety measure to avoid the destruction of the blades and injuries caused by the rocks.
Once you pass the rocky area, you can engage the Roto-stop and continue mowing.
These mowers are best suitable for homeowners living in rocky areas or have pebbles in the yard as decoration.
- This mower has a 21- inch cutting deck closer to the ground for perfect cutting and suction results. The GCV200 design includes an optimized oil filler position and a 60% larger fuel filler to prevent spills, making it easy to use and service.
- It has a twin blade that provides superior cut quality, mulching, and bagging. This will leave your lawn perfectly even.
- The Honda lawnmower has a quick release handle that can adjust to 3 different settings of your choice. One can quickly switch between mulching, bagging, discharge, and leaf shredding.
- This mower model has a built-in speed control that is self-propelled, and its select drive easily adjusts the mower’s speed to match your stride.
- It also offers an easy starting and powerful GCV200 engine that allows faster mowing and reduces stalling in thick grass.
- Besides, it is also adjustable to different heights to suit your preferences on the height of your lawn.
BLACK & DECKER 3-IN-1 LAWN MOWER- BEST CHEAP MOWER FOR THICK GRASS LAWN.
Want to get value for your money? Then this is the mower for you to purchase. This weed whacker performs its duties to the maximum.
With its 3-in-1 feature, this mower easily converts from mower to trimmer to edger. If this is not something you would invest in, then I don’t know if you can find mower with a better deal than this.
This mower is ideal for homeowners with small-sized yards. Unlike the standard mowers, this mower is excellent for inclines and areas that may otherwise pose challenging to mow with conventional mowers.
This bad boy is the perfect weed whacker; it will leave your yard looking clean and fantastic.
- It has a 3-in-1 feature that allows it to convert from mower to edger to trimmer easily.
- It has an AUTOMATIC FEED SPOOL, which ensures continuous work without bumping and
- having to stop to adjust the spool, which makes the process pleasant.
- With its adjustable height deck, trimmer and pivoting handle. It provides maximum comfort,
- control, and ideal cutting height. It also includes two batteries that assist in extended runtime.
- This mower can be adjusted to a cutting height of between 1.6-2.4inches and has a detachable
- mower deck that you can remove to access tight spaces, which ensures your lawn is level.
- It is best suitable for smaller lawns.
WORX WR140- BEST ROBOTIC LAWN MOWER FOR THICK GRASS.
Connected through your WiFi, this model is totally app controlled. It measures your lawn within the app, checks the progress, and updates you on your mowing schedule.
Although it saves you a lot of time and energy, this model is well suited for medium length grass, and I would advise to use it under supervision while cutting thick grass.
Since it is fully automated, it cuts your lawn by itself for up to ¼ acres of land. All one has to do is lay down the boundary wire, measure your garden with the app, set the charging base, and let it do its work. With the patented AIA, this model can navigate through narrow spaces.
The fantastic thing about this model is that the app can recommend an auto-schedule based on your yard’s size and conditions. With its rain sensors, it detects weather changes, knows when it is about to rain, and it will go back to the charger and wait for the lawn to dry.
This model has so many amazing features. This lawnmower for thick grass back away whenever it sees an obstacle. One can also set it to mow specific areas of the lawn.
It uses three cutting blades attached to a spinning disc to cut and mulch grasses.
- This mower has GPS and WiFi making it easy to control and locate it with your phone no matter where you are.
- It has a charging station where it is returned to charge, and once the battery is fully recharged, it continues cutting from where it last stopped.
- It has an in-built obstacle sensor to avoid knocking over people, animals, or objects. These sensors are adjusted to a certain distance depending on how far on the lawn you want it to mow.
- This model also has rain sensors. It can detect weather change, and once it detects water, it goes back to its charging station. It can, therefore, not cut wet grass.
- It designed to maneuver to slopes of up to 20 degrees easily.
TROY-BILT 30” SIT DOWN RIDING LAWNMOWER-BEST RIDE ON MOWER FOR TOUGH GRASS.
An impressive 382cc auto choke engine powers this model. I am convinced this machine was made to make mowing a fun experience.
Other than the fact that you get to sit on a seat designed to raise to mid-back and a steering wheel that has a soft grip, which is 13 inches, this fantastic lawnmower can reach a speed of 4MPH in forward and reverse.
The Troy-Bilt mower has a 30-inch cutting deck giving excellent coverage on the kinds of grass one can cut and is very suitable for large lawns. It also has a six-speed transmission. With this model, I find one can never have a frustrating experience mowing.
- It has a powerful auto-choke engine of 382cc built to provide a clean-cut and last long.
- It has an 18-inch turning radius, which makes maneuvering easy.
- It has 13 by 5 inches front wheels and larger rear wheels of 16 by 6.5 inches, built to last wheels.
- With its 1.3-gallon fuel tank, it can run for a whole afternoon and also has a fuel sight window, which allows you to check the level of gas.
- This model has a 30-inch cutting deck size giving excellent coverage on the type of grass one can cut and very suitable for large lawns.
- The Troy-Bilt has a six-speed transmission and can reach a speed of 4 MPH in forward and reverse.
AMERICAN LAWN MOWER COMPANY 14”-BEST PUSH LAWN MOWER FOR THICK GRASS.
Most homeowners have to mow their lawn every once in a while, which may be frustrating if they do not have the best lawn mower for the type of grass they have in their garden.
With this model, a weekly mow ensures your grass is even and not as thick as usual.
A push reel mower requires a certain amount of energy to cut the lawn. Like most products in the market, the push reel mower has its upside and downsides.
To make it easy for consumers to get what is best for them, I have listed its features below and its pros and cons. A push reel mower is almost silent as the noise emitted while using it is very minimal.
With this model, the snipping performed allows grass to retain most of its natural moisture and be more resistant to disease and insects, leading to a healthy lawn.
- This model has a cutting width of 14 inches and a cutting height of 0.5 up to 1.75.
- The mower has an 8.5 inches diameter high impact and polymer wheels with a 4 blade reel.
- It has heat-treated alloy steel reel, easy-roll wheels, smooth-spinning blades, and height is adjustable.
- It provides a clean scissor-like cut for most turf grasses, especially for cool-season grasses such as rye, fescue, bluegrass, and mixed weeds.
GREENWORKS 20”-BEST CORDLESS WALK BEHIND LAWN MOWER FOR 1 ACRE LAWNS THICK GRASS.
Greenworks 20” really stands out as it is powered by 2 electric motors operating two 10 inches blades, powered by dual 40V lithium batteries giving them about an hour runtime.
This model is fantastic as it can cut nicely through wet grass.
To add to that, it turns quickly, folds up in a snap, and takes seconds to switch between mulching, discharge, and bagging. It is well suited for yards up to ½ acre.
- This machine has a cutting deck and an adjustable 5 position single lever, which allows one to cut to a height range of 1 ¾ – 3 ¾ inches.
- It has dual blades that offer a better cut quality, bagging capabilities, and superior mulching. It is suitable for lawns of up to ½ acre.
- It has a hassle-free push-button start, and it is lightweight, making it easy to maneuver.
- The GreenWorks 20” is powered by 2 electric motors operating two 10 inch blades powered by 40V lithium batteries giving it a runtime of up to one hour.
SNAPPER 20”-SELF PROPELLED LAWN MOWER- BEST FOR ROUGH TERRAIN.
Mow effortlessly with the snapper self-propelled lawn powered by the 5.0 lithium-ion battery under light loads and Braggs Stratton 48V maximum. It has a runtime of up to 60 minutes. With this mower, you can always look forward to mowing chores.
- It has a cutting deck of 20 inches with a 3-in-1 design to bag, mulch, or side discharge grass clippings with ease.
- It has a 7 position height single lever adjustable for ideal lawn heights. This helps you dictate the height of the grass in your lawn.
- It has the 5.0 lithium-ion battery under light loads and Braggs Stratton 48V max and has a runtime of up to one hour.
- Self-propelled drive system so one can mow at a preferred speed with ease. Powered by Briggs & Stratton lithium-ion Tech (a much-known brand, a name you can trust).
- It has a bushel bagger to collect grass clippings.
- With its 3-in-1 mulch, bag, side discharge options, you can mow your deck to your preferred style.
- It has a smart load-sensing tech to allow for optimum power levels while one mows for maximum efficiency.
SCOTTS OUTDOOR 14” PUSH REEL LAWN MOWER- BEST FOR CUTTING THICK WET GRASS.
This old lawn is a healthy alternative to electric or gas powered lawn mowers as it only uses human power to function.
Unlike most traditional mowers, this one designed to maneuver easily through thick wet grass.
This model does not require regular maintenance, unlike gasoline lawnmowers. This lawnmower is very good to the environment and your lawn as it snips the grass for a precise clean cut.
Unlike electric mowers, which may pose a danger on the wet lawn since they may cause electric shock when they come into contact with water, this mower is totally safe to use on wet grass.
The Scotts outdoor mower requires a certain amount of force to make cutting the grass effective, and this feature allows the reels to spin as you push it over your lawn.
- This old fashioned model has a 14” cutting width, with a cutting height adjustment of 0.5”-1.75” for a clean and even cut.
- The T-style handle makes it easy and comfortable to push and pull.
It has a 5 blade ball bearing reel, which makes it easy to cut grass and the 8.5” composite wheels that assist in maneuverability—leaving your lawn neat and perfectly even.
- It also features durable heat-treated alloy steel blades.
BUYER’S GUIDE FOR LAWN MOWERS BEST SUITED FOR THICK GRASS.
Different consumers have different preferences. Whether you have acres of lawn or just a small yard, there is something suitable for your needs in the market. Like other products, there are things to consider when purchasing a mower. Different mowers have different features making them efficient for different types of grass and terrains. To avoid frustrations, below are some of the things to look at before purchasing a lawn mower.
ENGINE. When picking a lawnmower, there a lot of things to put into consideration, from the size of your lawn to the type of grass in your garden and many more. For best results, one has to choose a powerful engine, something that can work for you in different places with varying grass and terrain. This will save you the hustle of buying new lawnmowers every time you relocate.
Do you find mowing to be a frustrating experience for you?
Then I guess it is time to upgrade to a better, more powerful engine. Pick an engine size that will handle tasks like cutting through thick grass, wet grass, and leaf mulching and bagging. I am talking of an engine capacity ranging between 150-190cc.
While checking the engine of the mowers, you should also know that there are different types of engines. There is an engine with a direct overhead valve or overhead valves. An overhead valve engine is quieter and has better fuel consumption, although it costs more.
Don’t make the mistake of choosing a mower just because of the beautiful physical appearance or just because of the sweet, convincing words of marketers, ensure you find a perfect engine for your lawn to have great mowing experiences.
Mowing the lawn can be tiresome and frustrating at times. The fact that it is something you will be doing frequently, you need to ensure your comfort is covered. You do not have to be all tired and sore each time you mow your lawn.
Considering you are looking for a mower suitable for thick grass, you understand that it requires a lot of energy when using a push reel mower. With that said, you need to ensure that the height is adjustable so you can set it to your preferred height or if it is a sit on mower, the seat should be comfortable and flexible.
The larger the lawn, the more comfortable the mower you choose should be since you will use it for a more extended period.
TERRAIN AND YARD SIZE.
Not every homeowner’s yard is nice and flat. Some have large yards that are hilly or sloppy while others have small yards, dull and rough terrains. All these are covered with different types of lawnmower models.
For the homeowners with relatively flat and small lawns, push reel mowers may be the perfect choice for you, that is not self-propelled. Other than being cheaper, mowers without power to the wheels are lighter and easier to maneuver.
For those who own hilly or large yards, a self-propelled mower would be the perfect fit for you. In most cases, in mountainous areas, a rear-wheel-drive is the best. For very sloppy terrain, the all-wheel drive is best.
Consumers with small garage or shed spaces need not worry because everyone’s needs are covered with various models of lawnmowers in the market. Some models can be folded, and some are lightweight such as the Black &Decker 3-in-1 lawnmower that can be hung on the wall saving floor storage space.
Different mowers perform different functions. Some mulch and discharge the clippings on the deck while some mulch and collect the cutting in a bag. Depending on the size of your lawn and your budget, you can get one that you feel works best for you.
Mowers with two functions will either bag and mulch or mulch and side-discharge. For optimal versatility, I would advise you to choose a three function mower.
In addition to that, you need to consider the size of the grass box. If you have a medium or large lawn, look for a bigger grass box to save you time from stopping now and then to empty the grass box.
CUTTING WIDTH AND HEIGHT.
A mower’s cutting width is how wide a stripe the mower can cut. Depending on the size of your lawn, you can find a model that will make your work easier. A full cutting width will reduce the amount of time you spend mowing the lawn.
When it comes to cutting height, it is how high the grass will be when you cut it. You can find a mower that works for various grass heights. Consider the weather in your neighborhood and how fast the grass in your yard grows then find a model suited for multiple heights.
Most mowers have an adjustable cutting height, and this helps you dictate the height of the grass and leave it longer during the dry period or in autumn. The cutting height usually ranges between 20mm-60mm.
It is of importance to find a mower that cuts up to the edges of your lawn. If your lawn has a lot of advantages, consider a mower with rear rollers or cylinder blades. They usually mow right up to the edge of the garden.
Mowers with a grass collection comb are usually great for mowing edges too. There is no need for one to go back with a strimmer.
There are two main ways to power a mower; there are gas and electricity. Gas mowers have more energy and have a longer runtime, but their maintenance can be quite complicated. On the other hand, cordless electric mowers are quieter, more comfortable to start and cleaner, but the issue is they do not have a limited runtime.
TYPE OF GRASS(WET OR DRY)
There are many lawnmowers in the market, but not all are designed to cut both wet and dry grass. Most of the mowers cut dry grass. For instance, if it is an electric mower, you may not want to use it on wet grass as it may cause electric shock when it comes into contact with water.
TYPES OF MOWERS.
Lawn mowers are mainly classified based on how they are moved through the lawn or the source of energy for their motion. I will give a short description of mowers regarding their source of energy.
- Classified according to their source of energy they are classified into 3 categories;
- Hand powered
- Electric or electricity-powered
- Gas-powered lawnmowers.
- As the name suggests, these are mowers that use human power to move. They can cope with quite long grass and some bumps and lumps. It may be harder to use them on uneven ground as you will require a lot of energy to push and pull.
- Compared to electric and gas powered mowers, they are very affordable and suitable for people with small yards.
- When buying a hand-powered mower, consider its weight and how heavy it will be when you are pushing.
- The benefits of a hand-powered mower are that they are reticent compared to gas-powered ones and are better for your grass’ health as they cut the grass by snipping, giving it a scissor-like cut. They also do not emit pollution, so they are very environmental friendly.
- The downside of human-powered mowers is that it can be challenging to cut very thick grass such as Bermuda, Zoysia and St. Augustine, and large yards.
ELECTRIC OR ELECTRICITY POWERED
- Electric mowers are not suitable for every lawn, but under the right conditions are better choices than the gas powered mowers. These mowers are great because they have a lot of power and can also be used even when the neighbors are asleep and will not cause a nuisance as they are very quiet.
- They also have long battery life resulting in long runtime and come in small sizes, so they are easy to store if you have a large yard, this may be the mower for you.
GAS POWERED LAWN MOWERS.
- These models require gasoline to operate. They rely on the capacity of the fuel tank to determine their runtime. Most of these models come with a 1-gallon gas tank. If you run out of gas, you can always refill the tank. However, you will need to add oil to the fuel.
- The 2- stroke motor relies on oil for the efficient operation and smooth running of the engine parts.
- It is also suitable for use on wet grass, unlike electric mowers, which may cause electric shock.
HOW TO IDENTIFY THE TYPE OF GRASS IN YOUR LAWN.
- Identifying your lawn grass is an essential step in meeting its needs. After identifying your lawn grass is when you can fully know how to keep it best healthy and let it grow beautifully.
Knowing what grass is in your lawn is easy if you are starting a new garden from scratch.
- However, for the homeowners who move to a home with lawn all grown, it may be a challenge trying to identify the type of grass in your lawn. These are some of the things you may consider to help narrow down the field and identify the type of grass in your lawn.
The region you live in
- Your location gives a massive hint on the type of grass that is in your lawn. Just like other plants, flowers, and fruits, different greens have different climate limits. For your grass to survive through different seasons now and then, it must suit your lawn growing region.
- Some grass types only survive best during cold seasons, the cool-season grasses, as they are at their peak growth during this season. Others survive their best during warm seasons, the warm season grasses, as they are at their peak during that time. If your grass survives both seasons year after year, then your lawn may have both the warm and cold season grasses.
Observe the lawn grass features
- Once you have narrowed down your search based on your location, you can now check the similarities between common grass types to help you narrow down the search further. You can check at features such as color and texture, which are easy to identify while others may require a closer look.
- Grass types vary in the shape of their blades; others are round, others sharp-pointed, some grow in clump-like bundles while others spread via above-ground stems, below-ground stems, or both.
Warm or cold season grass.
For this, you will need to observe your grass. When does it grow the most? After identifying that, you can then know if it is a cold or warm-season grass. The warm-season weeds grow the most during warm seasons while the cool-season grass grows the most during the cooling season.
If you Interested to know about The Best Commercial Push Mowers for Gardening. Here Ox Review Describe all about 10 Best Commercial Push Mowers Buyer Guide & Reviews 2020.
Avoid going to lawnmower dealerships if you do not understand how lawn mowers work or what you need out of the machine. The dealerships may convince you to buy a more expensive model, yet you would have found something just as good but at an affordable price.
When selecting an ideal lawn mower, consider the size of your yard and type of grass. If you have a small backyard, a human-powered or electric mower will be more than sufficient to cut your grass. If you have a large yard, a gas-powered model may be your best choice.
Invest some of your time to research online on the suitable lawn mower models for your lawn. This will assist you in that even when you visit the dealership, the sales representatives will see you know what you want and, therefore, not take you for a ride. Be wise; let us change that frustrating mowing experience into a fun, pleasant one.